“My wife and I heard Janelle speak at a conference last year. It was a highlight of the conference for me. She clearly understands the issue of homosexual. She has a gift for communicating her understanding. I am reading her book. It is very helpful to me. While the book specifically targets women, as a father of a son with same-sex attraction, I think it is still very helpful. In fact, it is outstanding. I would recommend her conferences, resources and retreats."
- A father of a son with same-sex attraction
Restoring the Glory Conference
A conference produced, promoted and sponsored by Desert Hope Ministries. The purpose of the conference is to provide a dynamic message of God's truth surrounding our inherent glory as image bearers, real relationships, authentic sexuality, and meaningful intimacy. Janelle is the Coordinating Director and main speaker for this event. Read More...
Healing a Mother’s Heart Retreat
Desert Hope Ministries co-sponsors the Healing a Mother's Heart Retreat, a three-day group experience with other mothers of daughters with same-sex attraction. Because of Janelle’s extensive counseling experience with these women, she is uniquely positioned to help mothers (and fathers) understand the nature of their daughter’s issues as well as heal or strengthen their relationship with their daughter. Read More...
Healing a Parent’s Heart Retreat
Desert Hope Ministries co-sponsors the Healing a Parent's Heart Retreat, a three-day group experience with other mothers of daughters with same-sex attraction. Because of Janelle’s extensive counseling experience with these women, she is uniquely positioned to help mothers (and fathers) understand the nature of their daughter’s issues as well as heal or strengthen their relationship with their daughter. Read More...
Other National Events
Janelle speaks in many venues that often cannot or do not typically pay speaking honorariums, or the offered fee is not adequate to cover all of Janelle's expenses and time. Desert Hope Ministries makes it possible for her to continue to be involved in most of the following organizations and their events:
- Exodus North America – Regular keynote and workshop speaker at the annual and regional conferences
- NARTH (National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality) – Annual conference, Board member, Women's Committee member
- Love Won Out – A conference sponsored by Focus on the Family on the prevention of, and the church's response to, homosexuality; Janelle speaks as a clinical expert on lesbianism 2000-2003
- American Association of Christian Counselors - offering workshops on counseling women with same-sex attraction
- Colorado Christian University – Adjunct professor teaching Human Growth and Development and Human Sexuality
- Denver Seminary – Adjunct professor teaching A Psychological Perspective on Homosexuality
- Evergreen International – Conference for Professional Therapists on Female Homosexuality
- Various Church Retreats and Events
Desert Hope often funds all of the production, travel and overhead expenses for Janelle's international events. Many Christian organizations abroad do not have the funds to cover Janelle's (or her team's expenses). Desert Hope has supported Janelle to speak and teach internationally on Biblical and psychological truths related to relational and sexual brokenness in general, and homosexuality and lesbianism in specific. She regularly travels to central Europe and her missions speaking credits include:
- Pastoral Training Conference on Homose xuality and Restoring the Glory (Maputo, Mozambique) - Keynote speaker (2007).
- Evangelical Theological Seminary (Prague, Czech Republic ) – visiting professor, human sexuality 2002.
- Eurasia Teen Challenge – Keynote speaker at the International Conference 2001.
- Teen Challenge ( Prague, Czech Republic ) – Training seminar for Czech Teen Challenge leaders 2002.
- German Institute for Youth & Society ( Reichelsheim, Germany ) – Three-day conference for Christian psychologists on the lesbian condition 2003.
- Living Waters (Schweiz Zurich, Switzerland ) – one-day conference on the lesbian condition 2003.
Audio and Video Resources of Janelle's Teachings
Over the years, Desert Hope as produced, packaged and marketed many of Janelle's lectures. These valuable resources are have made available to professional therapists, lay counselors, parents of homosexual daughters, women who struggle with female homosexuality, and men and women in general seeking to understand and live within God's design for authentic sexuality and real relationships. To order products, visit Desert Hope's Store...
The Heart of Female Same-Sex Attraction: A Comprehensive Counseling Resource (2008, InterVarsity Press) Perhaps one of Desert Hope's most amazing feats, is the full funding and support of Janelle's long-term writing project. She started over five years ago on a manuscript for counselors on female homosexuality. After years of interviewing, researching, writing and re-writing, the book, The Heart of Female Same-Sex Attraction: A Comprehensive Counseling Resource (2008, InterVarsity Press) is finally here. It was an amazing miracle to see God's hand in providing the funding and just the right people to influence and support her along the way. It was truly a team effort made up of givers, prayers, sharers, researchers, typers, proofreaders, editors, encouragers, supporters and lovers! While it has gained the support and interest of many, the book is primarily intended for mental health professionals and educators. However, the book is reader-friendly and can also serve as an indispensable guide for clergy, lay counselors, mentors, friends and especially family members of women with same-sex attraction. And lastly, but perhaps most importantly, this book is dedicated to and for the women who are themselves struggling or looking for greater understanding into their lives. To order this ground- breaking book visit Desert Hope’s store.